Manley's most esoteric product is the 300B Preamplifier. This is the first and only preamp to feature these classic tubes. Manley has been designing the 300B into small power amps for many years and have always had great respect for the smooth natural sound of this tube. However, a single 300B provides truly appropriate power and voltage swing for headphones and makes a remarkable line driver. Here is where the impedances are not too low and the power requirements are not too high: ideal for this kind of tube in a single-ended configuration.
Manley combines the historic 300B with another classic, the large octal based 6SL7GT, for the input stage- all triodes running in pure Class A operation. To complement this 'retro' feel, Manley implemented vacuum tube rectification and regulation in the power supply along with plenty of capacity. Manley also developed an additional (and innovative) ripple rejection circuit to filter out power supply noise making this an incredibly low-noise preamplifier - especially critical for headphone users.
Complementing this lovely and rich sounding line-driver is the ALPS audiophile volume control, gold plated RCA connectors, high purity silver wire, mil-spec printed circuit boards with extra thick copper and plating, and custom designed output transformers which Manley winds right in their own magnetics department.
Whether you use headphones or loudspeakers this preamp will deliver the goods and spoil you for any other preamplifier.
- Inputs: 5 stereo pair unbalanced RCA jacks
- Outputs: 2 stereo pairs MAIN out same as SUB out unbalanced RCA jacks
- RECORD output: 1 stereo pair pre-volume control unbalanced RCA jacks
- HEADPHONE Outs: 2 front panel 1/4" headphone jacks
- Optimised headphone impedance switching: 30-400 Ohms to 300-4000 Ohms
- MUTE: Selecting HEADPHONE operation mutes LlNE outputs
- Output Vacuum Tubes: 2 x 300B Electro-Harmonix
- Input Tubes: 2 x 6SL7GT Russian (Electro-Harmonix or SOVTEK)
- Rectifier Tubes: 2 x 5U4GBEH Electro-Harmonix or 5AR4C by Ruby
- Regulator Tubes: 2 x OD3 NOS JAN USA
- Gain: factory set at 12 dB at max Volume
- Internal Variable Feedback: 8.5 dB of global NFB is used @ 12 dB of gain, adjustable trim -1.7dB to +1dB
- Noise Floor: typically -70 dB (1 Hz - 100 KHz)
- S/N Ratio: typically 105 dB (A WGT, 20 Hz - 20 KHz)
- Frequency Response: 5 Hz to 50 KHz 1dB
- Channel-to-Channel Separation (L to R): @1KHz 48 dB; @10KHz 35 dB; @20KHz 34 dB
- Channel-to-Channel Separation (R to L): @1KHz 50 dB; @10KHz 40 dB; @20KHz 37 dB
- THD: 0.08 % @ 1KHz at 1V rms out
- Distortion THD+N: -80 dB (.01 %) zero "crossover" distortion, mostly 2nd harmonic
- Input Sensitivity: 250mV (-9.8dBu) yields 1V out
- Input Impedance: 100 kOhm Noble volume control
- Maximum Input Level: 5.5dBu or 1.459 Vrms @ 1KHz, volume control at maximum
- Output Impedance (LINE STAGE): 100 Ohms
- Maximum Output Level: 17.2dBu or 5.636 Vrms @ 1KHz, volume control at maximum
- Output Power (100 Ohm Headphones): 1W (10 V RMS) (28 V P-P)
- Output Power (600 Ohm Headphones): 1W( 25 V RMS) (70 V P-P)
- Power Consumption: 170 Watts
- Operating Mains Voltage: Factory set for 220-240VAC operation
- Dimensions: 89 x 483 x 330mm (HxWxD)
- Top Deck Height: 102mm
- Transformer Height: 89mm
- Suggested shelf height minimum: 250mm (depending on height of 300B tube)
1 Review Hide Reviews Show Reviews
Wow !!!! My stereo has come to life !!! Finally the Jamo 907's are 'happy'….. Spacious, detailed and the typical mid-range of valves but not in any way at the expense of anything else. And I now truly understand what the term 'slam' means when it comes to good bass. I still don't understand whether solid state or valve amps provide better bass, however this pre-amp works with my gear.
Do you sell many of these beasties? I hope you do.. People need to sell their car or house or their children to finance one of these….
Truly amazing. And now I have to plan for more Manley gear in the future.