The VPI Prime turntable was the first step in a new direction for VPI. Using best practices in efficiency and lean manufacturing the Prime brought a high-performance product that punched way above its price point. The Prime was the first VPI turntable with a 3D Unpivot JMW tonearm standard.
The Prime X takes takes those original concepts but with upgraded HW-40 isolation feet as well as having the 3D-12 JMW as the standard tonearm.
The HW-40 feet have proven to be VPI's best isolators without breaking the bank, the lower profile also makes the table look cleaner, and is easier to fit into a shelf. The design matched perfectly with the platter.
Moving the bottom plate to the top and adding more metal to wrap around the posts braces and makes the chassis more rigid. Grounding is better since all assemblies are mounted to that metal top plate.
Here's a video we made unboxing a VPI Prime and a few setup tips.
The shape of the Prime is meant to have a curvier and sexy look compared to the "classic" look of our tables over the past decade. We were able to get the price lower for the 3D arm because of our improved technology and increased volume in printing and supply.
The VPI Prime X includes:
- 12 inch 3D-printed arm
- VTA Tower for VTA/SRA on the fly
- Classic 20 pound platter and bearing
- Outboard 300 RPM motor housing
- Stainless Steel/Delrin record clamp
- Chassis made of black textured vinyl over MDF with an 11 gauge steel plate bonded to the underside for the ultimate in resonance control and feedback rejection
- A 300 rpm 24 pole AC synchronous motor capable of high torque and quiet operation installed in a separate aluminium and steel machined assembly.
- Inverted bearing - hardened stainless steel shaft, 60 Rockwell chrome hardened ball, spinning in a phosphor bronze bushing and sitting on a PEEK thrust disc. The belt side load is placed at the centre of the spinning bearing for zero teeter-tooter effects.
- 20 pound damped platter machined from 6061 aluminium to +/- .001” in a 39” circumference!!!
- Motor pulley has an accuracy of +/- .0005” when leaving factory.
- Wow and flutter: 0.05%
- Speed Accuracy: 0.05%
- Rumble: >80db down
- Pivot to spindle: 300mm
- Effective length: 313mm
- Overhang: 13mm
- Offset angle: 17.37 degrees
- Average RMS distortion: 0.267%
- Internal wiring: VPI copper weave
- New design 3d printed one piece body for the ultimate in resonance control.
- Full length copper shielding tube internally
- Adjustable side weights for finer azimuth settings.
- Built in “Easy lift” finger lift.
- Offset stainless steel counterweight for stability
- Easy setting of VTA/SRA in thousandths of an inch, calibrated and repeatable
- Adjustable anti-skate.
- Periphery Ring clamp for the ultimate in record warp reduction
- HR-X Center Weight, perfectly complements the periphery clamp
- Analog Drive System (ADS) for the utmost accuracy in motor speed and fine speed adjustment
Note: Cartridge pictured is not included
Price includes turntable and tonearm - cartridge sold separately. We're happy to help with is, alternatively if you'd like us to mount your existing cartridge we can do that too. VPI supply all the tools required for cartridge alignment and balancing should you wish to do this yourself.