Manley Stingray iTube stereo integrated amplifier
This must surely be the ultimate Apple iPod dock!
The Stingray iTube is the next evolution from Manley's acclaimed Stingray Integrated Amplifier, legendary in the hifi world. Originally conceived with particular attention paid to optimal component placement for the purity and symmetry of the signal path layout, the Stingray quickly became one of Manley's best-selling products. The Stingray iTube retains the same basic tube circuitry and marvellous output transformers as the original with some important improvements: an iPod dock has been integrated into the Stingray iTube as the 4th input source. The Manley iTube has been certified by Apple and officially sanctioned as a "Made for iPod" product. The Stingray's remote control commands the iPod "play/pause" and "track forward/back".
The iPod's video output is available at the "s-video" output jack located on the left side facia. The high voltage tube energy storage has been increased vastly resulting in even more solid and coherent bass control and impact. A headphone jack has been added to the right side facia. This jack re-routes the output from the speaker binding posts and mutes the sub output feed.
The remote control works with both radio frequency and InfraRed technologies. Using the remote in RF mode gives freedom from having to "point and shoot." The RF remote is omnidirectional and works through walls and cabinets. IR capability is included for those with "universal learning" remote controls for consolidated integration into existing systems. The volume control, balance adjust, input switching, and display options are all on the RF/IR remote control. Additionally user can perform the "mute", "dim", "insert" and "standby" commands with the remote control.
Each input can be individually level trimmed to match and to optimise system gain staging of various input devices.
The fancy blue LED displays surrounding the "input" and "volume" encoder knobs can be dimmed down or turned off entirely, after a user-settable time period, or a "screen-saver" random light sequence can be selected. Speed and intensity of the "Starlight" mode can be tweaked to taste.
All custom user settings are hard written into memory when the unit is put into "standby" mode and thus retained if power is later interrupted.
There is even a sleep timer which is programmable from the remote control to allow you to drift off carefree dreaming of your musical Stingray for 15, 30, 45 or 60 minutes while it gracefully lowers the volume and puts itself into "standby" mode.
Individual sealed gold contact relays deliver the selected input into the volume control system before hitting the first 12AT7 input tubes. Following the mighty 6414 driver/phase splitter, the trusty EL84 output stage can be switched between either 20 watts of triode power or 40 watts of Ultra Linear mode push-pull operation. Individual bias for each tube is easily adjusted using the trimpots and test points, conveniently located on the top surface of the amplifier. The Stingray's power supply is extra-rugged and stiff, a Manley hallmark. It swims with the sharks: fast, agile, fluid, and with consummate authority.
Post-volume "subwoofer" output allows easy hook-up of outboard line-level driven active powered subwoofers. This output is after the volume control so that the subwoofer will track the volume level changes of the main speakers. The "sub" output is a line level and full frequency output that is after the volume control so your powered subwoofer follows the same volume as your main speakers. These are unbalanced RCA jacks, line level. They feed the line inputs of your subwoofer, not the speaker jacks.
With the Stingray, the Manley team has struck a remarkably harmonious balance in design which satisfies the sonic desires of the audiophile and the rocker, the artist and the musician, the student and the master, the yin and the yang. Manley invites you to experience the stunning sonic quality and visual beauty of the Stingray personally.
- 3 x Stereo Line RCA Inputs
- 1 x iPod dock (analog output used) - note uses the 30-pin dock connector
- Triode - UL Output Stage Mode Switching
- Rcording out
- Subwoofer out
- Tape loop (Insert) with Bypass switch
- S-VIDEO out (from iPod dock)
- 1/4" Headphone output (mutes speakers and subwoofer output when deployed)
- Logic controlled Volume and Balance functions
- All-Vacuum Tube Lo-feedback Stereo Integrated Design
- Output Tubes: 8 x EL84 Ships with Russian NOS EL84M (aka 6Pi14Pi-EB)
- Driver Tubes: 2 x 6414 Ships with GE or RAYTHEON JAN NOS USA or 6414W
- Input Tubes: 2 x 12AT7EH Ships with: 12AT7EH large plate Electro-Harmonix Russian
- Maximum Output Power UL mode: 32 Watts x 2 channels 1.5% THD @ 1kHz into 5 Ohms
- Maximum Output Power TRIODE mode: 18 Watts x 2 channels 1.5% THD @ 1kHz into 5 Ohms
- Frequency Response: 15 Hz - 58 kHz, -1dB
- Gain: 35 dB at max Volume
- Input Sensitivity UL Full Power: 210 mV in = 32 watts out into 5 Ohms with volume control at maximum
- Input Sensitivity Triode: 41mV in = 1W into 5 Ohms with volume control at 20dB gain setting
- Input Sensitivity UL: 35mV in = 1W into 5 Ohms with volume control at 20dB gain setting
- Crosstalk: -72dB See Chart
- Noise: 5.8 microVolts A-WGT; @600 Ohms
- S/N Ratio: typically 97 dB A-WGT @ 600 Ohms
- S/N Ratio: typically 72 dB A-WGT, 1W output, 20dB gain, Source Z = shorted input
- THD+N Ratio: typically 64 db at 1W output, Bandwidth 22Hz-22kHz, Source = 1kHz Sine wave
- Input Impedance: 12 kOhm nominal
- Output Impedance at TAPE Output: 47 Ohms
- Optimum Speaker Load: 5 Ohms
- Speaker Terminal Output Impedance at 20 Hz: 2.36 Ohms
at 1KHz: 2.00 Ohms
at 20KHz: 1.83 Ohms
- Damping Factor into 8 Ohms (UL mode): 6.7 @ 100 Hz; 7.2 @ 1 kHz; 6.9 @ 10 kHz
- Damping Factor into 8 Ohms (Triode mode): 7.2 @ 100 Hz; 7.8 @ 1 kHz; 8.0 @ 10 kHz
- Headphone Jack Output Impedance: 53 Ohms
- Remote Control Type: RF (radio frequency) and IR (infrared), user selectable
- Volume Control: Cirrus Digital Level Control System, controlled by Grayhill Rotary Encoders
- Volume Control Range: 102dB in 1dB steps turning slowly, with larger steps as rate of turn increases
Power Consumption (Standby, no iPod charging): 6W
- Power Consumption (Standby, iPod charging: 12W
- Power Consumption Idle: 198W
- Maximum Power Consumption at Full Power: 300W
- MAINS Fuses: 220~240VAC operation: MDL 1.5 AMP / 250 Volt SLO-BLO
B+ FUSES (2): MDA 1/4 AMP, 250 Volt SLO-BLO, Ceramic.
- Power Cord: Detachable IEC standard.
- Dimensions: 191 x 482 x 356mm
- Shipping Weight: 15.9kg